Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Felting secrets and snow pictures

Hello there. I have been in a felting groove.

I have a secret to tell you about felting. Maybe you already know? Did you know that when you felt your hand knits, you lose more in length than you do width? A general rule is that you lose 30% in length and 10% in width.

One trick to find out exact percentage:

Knit a 5"L x 5"W swatch (Knit loose). Run through the washing machine (fast speed for lots of agitation). Measure again. Most likely, your felted swatch will now be (or be close to) 3.5"L x 4.5W. Try it sometime. Knowing this, you can design without fear of too much shrinkage!

So, Patons wool was on sale and I started knitting and knitting and then testing gauge and felting, and all that jazz, and what I came up with.....felt phone cozies.

DSC_0268DSC_0257DSC_0248

I put those ones (and more) in my little shop. Next up: felt nook/kindle cozies and felt purses. I told you; felting groove.

Good thing. Because we just had a snow storm. Brace yourself for some chill inducing photos:

snowday2
A covered pine tree.

snowday3
Charlie hurrying back inside.

snowday1
Bare trees in the backyard.

snowday8
Snow clinging to the side of the deck rails.

snowday7
Ice making its home.

snowday6
Brrr.

snowday4
A lonesome, heavy sunflower.

snowday5
Icicle branch.

snowday9
Dogs looking at me like I am crazy.

*******************************************

I am still reading Cutting for Stone and will be for some time. The words/message/story is quite profound. Every night, I find a new quote to live by.

"...own who you are, own how you look, own your family, own the talents you have, and own the ones you don't...Not only our actions, but also our omissions, become our destiny."
Cutting for Stone

Have a good day!
XXOO, Gilda

7 comments:

  1. That picture of snow on the deck rails is absolutely gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your snow photos! I admire anyone who can felt successfully. I had one very failed attempt just before we got a front-load washer (which I hear aren't good for felting), so I will live vicariously through others (and drool).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh look at the snow - I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute cozies - good thing the phones will be warm LOL. I think the dogs have it about right - watcha doing on the wrong side of the window?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots! And I'm so impressed with your felting precision! I tend to rely on a lot of luck and a little prayer when I felt stuff, but it's nice to know that there's math available. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVING the doggy photos. :) Oh and the felted pieces are nice too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, are you ever talented, wish I had your eye for photos!
    willow4

    ReplyDelete