Monday, February 27, 2012

date night and coconut ice cream instructions

This weekend, we were supposed to go to our monthly dinner club. The theme was THAI. I love Thai, yes I do. So, I was sad when circumstances had forced us to reschedule (host's kiddies were sick :(). I'd already made my COCONUT ICE CREAM and SWEET STICKY RICE. We already had a babysitter (my brother took the kids for the entire night - woooot!!!). So, we went on a date instead.
First, we saw Wanderlust.

Yes, it is a RAD movie. I happened to have loved it. It was a little vulgar, a lot funny, and not sappy (okay, a little sappy). At the beginning of the movie, I totally wanted to live in a commune. But by the end of the movie, I was happy right where I was. I'd watch that movie again & again.
After the movie, we went to Sopranos, a new Italian restaurant. We had steamed mussels as an appetizer. I had the wood fire pizza for my main course, and my hot husband had the Ahi tuna on risotto. He had a scotch and I had TWO mojitos. When we got home, we watched Rum Diaries, which I thought was boooooooring. Even though Johnny Depp is my boyfriend.

Anyway, that coconut ice cream did not go to waste. And since I took photos through my process of making the amazzzzing coconut ice cream, I thought I'd share. Maybe you can make some coconut icecream, too? (BONUS! You do not need an ice cream maker.)

What you'll need. (not pictured: 4 eggs and 1 cup of sugar)
DSC_0232

I didn't have a double boiler, so I used two pots. The pot underneath has boiling water. In the pot on top are the eggs mixed with 1 cup of sugar. Stir constantly for about 10 minutes. (Make sure boiling water is rolling, but not overflowing)
DSC_0224

As sugar/egg mixture is cooling down, pour 1 pint of heavy whipping cream into a bowl. (At this point, you can use a mixer, if you prefer.)
DSC_0226

Stir frantically!!! The quicker, the thicker.
DSC_0230

When the heavy cream is more like a whipped cream, add in 1 can of coconut milk and 1/4 c of flaked coconut. Add in the cooled egg mixture, too, as well as 1tsp of vanilla. Stir everything together, and then pour into a glass container.
DSC_0231

Freeze overnight.
DSC_0233

Eat it.
DSC_0234

And be happy.
DSC_0237

Source: http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaidesserts/r/coconuticecream.htm

1 comment:

  1. WOW Ice cream.....you sure didn't learn that from me.....you were lucky to get ice cram sandwiches or DQ kid cone with crunchies!!!!!!!

    Movie Rum Diaries was so mediocre and my beloved Johnny Depp has cellulite on his back (love handles)....saw it with my own eyes. Yep!

    ReplyDelete